Sunday, May 30, 2010

buying flowers...

Having purchased a small bouquet of flowers for my good friend whose father had just passed away, I walk out of Albertson's. My exit happens to line up with that of an attractive 40-something woman in a fuzzy looking sweatsuit. She is very tan and looks like a housewife might look in a well-off suburb. Coincidentally, I am in West Linn and note that she probably is. I give her a nod as we both walk out the door. She initiates conversation as she eyes my bouquet:

Woman: So... what'd you do?
Me: Um... death in the family.
Woman: oh my god I'm so sorry!!
Me: No worries. It's not my family.
Woman: Oh good! Here I am giving you a hard time, thinking you'd done something bad...
Me: I didn't say I haven't. But that's a different story.

I walk away toward my car as she starts toward hers. She turns back and smirks. I keep walking with a big grin on my face.

Sometimes I love the suburbs.

No comments: